HEARTLAND LIBRARY COOPERATIVE
LONG RANGE PLAN, 2018 – 2023
Heartland Libraries: the Heart of our Communities.
The Long Range Plan is an outline of the cooperative’s focus of activities for the next five years. The activities outlined in the Long Range Plan are supported by the Cooperative’s budget as described.
The major emphasis from Fiscal Year 2018 to Fiscal Year 2023 will be upon, 1) providing technology support for all Cooperative libraries; 2) providing courier service to member libraries
5 days per week; and 3) assisting all Cooperative libraries with their mission to provide the citizens of DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Highlands and Okeechobee Counties with quality, innovative library service. The Cooperative libraries’ roles in accomplishing the plan of service will be one of support utilizing Cooperative staff, employment agency staff, and/or member library staff.
The Heartland Library Cooperative assists its member libraries to address the following needs of its citizens:
- Our libraries will provide current titles and best sellers to satisfy library users’ recreational reading needs. Library collections will support and stimulate the “pure and simple pleasure of reading”.
- Our libraries will provide informational resources and assistance using educational tools including computers. The libraries will concentrate on providing supplemental materials rather than duplicate resources available in institutions such as South Florida Community College and other regional colleges and universities.
- Our libraries will provide access to distance learning databases.
- Our libraries will provide programs and materials dedicated to children, young adults, adults and seniors.
- Our libraries will provide an extensive collection of circulating materials on a wide variety of topics in which the public has a sustained interest.
- Our libraries will provide access to information in a variety of formats and will offer computer and Internet access.
- Our libraries will encourage and facilitate the sharing of resources among the members in order to contribute toward equity and enrichment in information access to all.
The Cooperative staff and member library directors and/or library managers believe in a service philosophy for their patrons that demonstrate:
- All customers are important
- Libraries matter to the community
- Pride in our home libraries
- Pride in our library cooperative system
- Pride in our service to our libraries and our patrons
- Cooperative, pleasant, and respectful demeanor to all who come through our doors
Continue to provide “Pink Cart” collection of popular titles to all libraries. Continue cooperative circulation of library materials.
Continue courier route, 5 visits per week to the member libraries. Review circulation policies as needed to provide best practices. Act as materials buying agent for member libraries.
Serve as a forum for information on issues of interest to member libraries. Coordinate research and development of new methods of service.
Explore issues and design pilot projects.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
Provide public access workstations to include internet access, library catalogs, and local government information.
Continue to update and maintain the Heartland Library Cooperative web site and assist member libraries with development of their own web pages.
Maintain and upgrade as necessary wireless access to the Internet at libraries. Replace outdated technology currently functioning in the member libraries.