The Governing Board of the Heartland Library Cooperative adopts the following provisions governing per diem and travel for all travel, class A, B or C, on behalf of the Cooperative. These provisions are described in Florida Statutes 112.061 (3) (a).
A public employee or authorized person uses the travel reimbursement process to obtain reimbursement for authorized and allowable out-of-pocket expenses while on Cooperative business. Allowable expenses include transportation, meals, lodging, and other costs incidental to traveling such as taxi fares, parking fees, and tolls.
Travel status is classified as Class A, Class B, and Class C:
- Class A travel is defined as continuous travel of 24 hours or more away from the traveler’s official headquarters. Travel time is based on a calendar day–from midnight to midnight.
- Class B travel is defined as continuous travel of less than 24 hours that requires an overnight absence from the traveler’s official headquarters. Travel time is calculated on the travel period consisting of 6-hour cycles beginning with departure time.
- Class C travel is defined as travel for short or day trips where the traveler is not away from official headquarters overnight. Class C meal expense allowances are a fringe benefit and are considered taxable income by the IRS, subject to federal income tax withholding and Social Security taxes.
All travel must be authorized and approved by the head of the agency (Heartland Library Cooperative Coordinator) from whose funds the traveler is paid. The head of the agency (Heartland Library Cooperative Coordinator) shall not authorize or approve such a request unless it is accompanied by a signed statement by the traveler’s supervisor stating that such travel is on the official business of the Cooperative and also stating the purpose of such travel.
The traveler will be reimbursed for the cost of round-trip, coach class airfare. Purchase of a non-refundable ticket is required. The original ticket receipt must be submitted with the Heartland Library Cooperative Voucher for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses.
If traveling by plane, the Cooperative allows travel time prior to departure time and after arrival time as the time that may be listed on your travel voucher. This allows additional time for travel to and from the airport, baggage check, security, etc.
A compact car must be used (Class B). If you would like to rent a larger Car, you are required to pay the difference. Receipts for gas must be submitted with the Heartland Library Cooperative Voucher for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses.
Hotel rooms can only be reimbursed for the single occupancy rate + taxes. If room rate is over $125 per night, justification must be provided. The original hotel receipt must be submitted with the Heartland Library Cooperative Voucher for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses. Travelers will not be reimbursed for personal charges such as alcohol, movies, room service, etc.
Hotel and Meal Reimbursement:
A traveler will be reimbursed actual hotel expenditures and maximum meal allowance pursuant to the current resolution adopted by the Host County, Highlands County. Additional travel expenses incurred (e.g. rental car, mileage, etc.) may be reimbursed with all applicable receipts attached.
- Breakfast – $6.00: When travel begins before 6:00 A.M. and extends beyond 8:00 A.M.
- Lunch – $12.00: When travel begins before noon and extends beyond 2 P.M.
- Dinner – $20.00: When travel begins before 6:00 P.M. and extends beyond 8:00 P.M.
Ground Transportation: Travel by personal vehicle will be reimbursed at a state rate of .56 per mile for state mileage, plus reasonable vicinity mileage. Rental cars will be reimbursed if the cost is no greater than travel by personal vehicle.
The Heartland Library Cooperative will reimburse for tolls, parking, portage ($1 per bag, up to $5 per occasion), taxi, business calls, or other travel related expenses. Please list each one separately and provide receipts for each. The Heartland Library Cooperative credit card may be used to purchase airline tickets, reserve or pay for hotel rooms, reserve or pay for car rental. The Heartland Library Cooperative credit card should not be used to pay for meals, tolls, parking, portage, or similar expenses. Every opportunity should be taken to utilize the Heartland Library Cooperative tax exemption certificate to avoid paying taxes.
RETAIN ALL ORIGINAL RECEIPTS AND ATTACH THEM TO YOUR TRAVEL VOUCHER.